The Martiniere College at Lucknow.
Photographer: Beato, Felice
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of La Martiniere, Lucknow, from the Album of Miscellaneous views in India, taken by Felice Beato in 1858. La Martiniere (also known as Constantia) was built by Frenchman Claude Martin (1735-1800) in 1795, though he died before its completion in 1802. This example of European architecture later influenced the development of hybrid Indo-European architecture in Lucknow in the 19th century. Initially designed as a country house, it is used as a school for boys. This is a view from the lake looking towards the building. The tall fluted column standing in the lake in the foreground was a later addition, designed by J.P. Parker.