The Cathedral and Bishop's Palace [Calcutta]
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of St. Paul's Cathedral and the Bishops' Palace from 'Views of Calcutta and Barrackpore' was taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s. Located on the south-east corner of the Maidan, St. Paul's Cathedral was designed by Major W. N. Forbes in an Indo-Gothic architectural style and built in 1839. Rev. Daniel Wilson, the Bishop of Calcutta was the major financial contributor towards the building of St. Paul's Cathedral. Bishops' Palace, located east of St. Paul's Cathedral, was purchased by Bishop Wilson in 1849.