The Kootub [Delhi]. 5312
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. The Qutb Minar complex was initiated by Qutb-ud-din Aibak in the Twelfth Century to lay the foundations of the Delhi Sultanate. He built the Qutb Minar and the Quwwat-ul-Islam mosque to celebrate the onset of the Islam in India. This is a view of colonnade of pillars from the Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque. The Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque, literally translated as the Might of Islam, is the earliest surviving mosque in India. It was begun by Qutb-ud-Din Aibak in 1193 and completed four years later on the site of Rai Pithora’s Hindu temple. Twenty-seven Hindu and Jain temples were levelled to provide enough masonry for the new structure and the Hindu influence permeates the whole complex. These are pillars from the temples that originally stood on the site.