The first Asaf Jahs Serai, [Ajanta]
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the first Asaf Jahs Serai at Ajanta, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1900s, from the 'Views of the Caves of Ellora and Ajunta, Nizams Dominions, [by] Raja Deen Dayal & Sons, State Photographers'. The old town of Ajanta is situated 8 km from to the south of the famous Buddhist cave temples excavated around 200 BC. The town is surrounded by a strong fortified wall and moat built by the Nizam in 1727. This view shows a caravanserai, a halting place for caravans.