The Brahmanical cave-temple, Elephanta
Photographer: Johnson and Henderson
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an entrance to the cave temple at Elephanta from the album 'Views of Western India' taken by Johnson and Henderson c.1857. The small island of Elephanta, off the coast of Bombay, is celebrated as the complexity of the plan makes it one of the greatest achievements in rock-cut architecture in India. The temple is dedicated to Shiva, dates to the sixth century and consists of a series of chambers cut from the rock. There are five caves in total, but only the great cave can still be visited. The temple stands at 250 feet above sea level and measures 130 feet square, 17 feet high. At the centre of the cave is a hypostyle hall of 20 pillars in which stands the linga shrine, flanked by two excavated courts to the east and west of the shrine. This photograph shows an entrance and gives a view of the surrounding cliffs from which it was excavated.