Trench for east wall immediately behind dam of Nicol Basin, looking north [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the trench for a wall just behind the Nicol dam of the Victoria Dock in Bombay City . In April 1879, the Prince's Dock was finally completed - a huge feat of constuction costing 76 lakhs - and was thrown open by the Governor of Bombay, Sir Richard Temple. The dock was open to traffic on 1 January 1880 and in 1884, a scheme put before the Government for a dock extension was approved. The extension, which later came to be called Victoria Dock, was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The Musjid and Nicol basins were absorbed into the new scheme.