Trichinopoly, India, where Lord Clive once lived - [looking] N.E. across town to fortress and famous rock
Photographer: Ricalton, James
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of Tiruchchirappalli in Tamil Nadu, taken by James Ricalton in c. 1903, from The Underwood Travel Library: Stereoscopic Views of India. Tiruchirapalli is situated on the River Kaveri in Tamil Nadu. The town has been a stronghold of various ruling dynasties-Pallavas, Cholas, Nayakas and later occupied by the British. The town is dominated by the Rock Fort, a massive sand-coloured rock which towers to a height of over 80 metres. The Pallavas were the first to exploit the rock, building temples into its sides, but it was the Nayakas of Madurai who realised the site's potential as a fort adding only a few walls and bastions as fortifications in the 17th century. They firmly established Tiruchirapalli as an important trading city. This is one of a series of 100 photographs, designed to be viewed through a special binocular viewer, producing a 3D effect. The series was sold together with a book of descriptions and a map with precise locations to enable the 'traveller' to imagine that he was touring around India. Stereoscopic cameras, those with two lenses and the ability to take two photographs at the same time, were introduced in the mid 19th century and revolutionised photography. They cut down exposure time and thus allowed for some movement in the image without blurring as subjects were not required to sit for long periods to produce sharp results.