Temple at Tehri [Tikamgarh]
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Temple at Tikamgarh in Madhya Pradesh, from the 'Album of 'Views of Central India by Deen Dayal, Indore' taken by Deen Dayal in the 1870s.
In 1783, Tikamgarh replaced Orchha as a Rajput capital. This structure closely follows the architectural style found in the neighbouring centres of Orchha and Datia. The temple is square, with ranges on each side and a tower in the centre. On the end of each range there are smaller towers and a xxx in the centre.
Tikamgarh used to be the headquarters town of the Orchha State. The earlier name of the town was Tehri, which means triangle, as it consisted of three hamlets forming a rough triangle. The name of Tehri was changed to Tikamgarh in 1887 in honour of Lord Krishna, as Tikam is one the names of lord Krishna.