The Prison of the Palace, Delhi.
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, at Delhi, Lucknow and Cawnpore in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. The Red Fort was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1627-1658) at his new capital Shahjahanabad at Delhi. It took nine years to build and was the seat of Mughal power until the Uprising of 1857 when Bahadur Shah the last Mughal Emperor was dethroned. During the Uprising of 1857 the Fort was used as headquarters by the British army and under their occupation many of its gardens and pavilions were destroyed.