The offices of the Indo European Telegraph Department, Kurrachee [Karachi]. Rear view of Right wing.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Telegraph office from the 'Album of architectural and topographical views, mostly in South Asia' by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city of the country and the capital of Sindh province in the lower Indus valley. The Telegraph and Post Office of the city was designed by Captain P. Phelps and built on McLeod Road. This area rapidly developed into the main commercial centre of Karachi. In 1852, Sir Bartle Frere the Commissioner of Sindh issued the first Indian stamps known as the ‘Scinde District Dawk’. The view in this photograph shows the rear view of the right wing of the office.