The offices of the Indo European Telegraph Department, Kurrachee [Karachi]. Library and Museum.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Telegraph Office in Karachi from the 'Album of architectural and topographical views, mostly in South Asia' by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city of the country and the capital of Sindh province in the lower Indus valley. The Telegraph and Post Office of the city was designed by Captain P. Phelps and was built on McLeod Road. This area rapidly developed into the main commercial centre of Karachi. In 1852, Sir Bartle Frere the Commissioner of Sindh issued the first Indian stamps known as the ‘Scinde District Dawk’. The view in this photograph shows the Library and Museum building in the complex.