The Church of the Holy Trinity, Kurrachee [Karachi].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Karachi from the 'Album of architectural and topographical views, mostly in South Asia' by an unknown photgrapher in the 1870s. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city and main commercial centre of the country and the capital of Sindh province in the lower Indus valley. Completed in 1855, Holy Trinity was the first major church to be built in Karachi. Although it was designed by Captain John Hill, changes were made by John Brunton during its construction. The church is built in local, buff colour Gizri stone. This view of the exterior of the church shows the tower and roof in its original state. The tower has five storeys above the buttressed entranceway of the tower and the roof is pitched. Two stories of the tower were removed for safety in 1904 and a new barrel vaulted roof was was put in place in the 1970s.