The Cathedral, Madras
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of St. George Cathedral, at Madras (Chennai), Tamil Nadu, taken by Frederick Fiebig in c.1851. The Cathedral Church of St. George stands in southern Madras. It was begun in 1814 and consecrated in 1816. The Baroque design by Colonel James Caldwell (1770-1863) and Major Thomas Fiott de Havilland (1775-1866) was modelled on St. Martin’s-in-the-Fields, London, by James Gibbs, the inspiration and prototype for many colonial churches. A spire 42.5 metres (140 ft) high rises above an imposing entrance portico, carried on eighteen Ionic columns, and the building is faced in white chunam, a local form of stucco which could be polished to a dazzling finish. The cathedral was one of three major British colonial churches in Madras, the others being St Andrew’s Kirk and St. Mary’s Church in Fort St. George.