The New Palace, Kolhapur.
Medium: Photographic print
View of the New Palace at Kolhapur, Maharashtra from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency', taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The New palace was built by the architect Major Charles Mant under the auspices of the Maharaja. Mant designed the New Palace which took seven years to complete (1877-1884) in Indo-Saracenic style. This building was built in grey stone around a central courtyard and exhibits a lofty clock tower. The interior was equally lavish, adorned with trophies of game and tiger heads, it contains several beautiful stained glass windows depicting the life of Shivaji which was the work of an Italian artist.