Temple in Ajaigurh Fort (ruins)
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a ruined temple in the fort of Ajaigarh in Madhya Pradesh from the Album of 'Views of Central India by Deen Dayal, Indore', taken by Deen Dayal in the 1870s. The fort of Ajaigarh is perched on the southern crag of a granite hill 531
metres above the sea level. The hill is encircled by an outer rampart with ruined fragments of ancient Hindu sculpture and carvings used by the Muslims to strengthen the walls. The fort was built in the ninth century by the Chandela kings who were
defeated by the Chauhan emperor of Delhi in 1182. In the 18th century Ajaigarh was part of the territory ruled by the Bundela Chhatar Sal until his death in 1734. In 1800 the Marathas under the Nawab of Banda seized the fort and in 1809 under Colonel Martindell, the British forced the marauding local chieftain Lakshman Daowa to capitulate. This view shows a ruined temple inside the fort area.