Triumphal arch near Jiti Nalla bridge [Kolhapur].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a Triumphal arch, New Palace, Kolhapur taken in 1894 by an unknown photographer on the occasion of the installation of His Highness Shahu Chhatrapati (1875-1922), the Maharaja of Kolhapur.
Kolhapur, situated on the banks of the river Panchaganga was the capital city of the former princely state of the same name in Maharashtra. Between the 10th and 13th centuries it was ruled by the Yadavas, it later it came under Mughal control and in 1675 it was conquered by the Maratha chief Shivaji and the Maharajas of Kolhapur were descended from his younger son. . The 'Indo-Saracenic' New Palace was designed by Major Charles Mant of the Royal Engineers and was constructed between 1877 and 1884. The Triumphal arch is seen decorated with flags and a 'Welcome' sign for the ceremony.