View of the Tin Darwaza or Three-doored gate at Panhala from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894' taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Panhala is situated in the Sahyadri hills about 12 miles north-west of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. The fort was probably founded by King Raja Bhoja between 1192 and 1209. Panhala was one of the most important hill forts in the Deccan and over the years had been in the possession of several different rulers. The massive perimeter walls were over seven kilometres in circumference, set into the wall were three magnificent double gateways which were reached by long flights of stone steps. One of them is the Tin-darwaza gate an impressive structure with three doors at different levels so that after entering invading troops were trapped in an inner courtyard and could be attacked by the fort’s defenders.