The Town Hall, Bombay. 394129
Medium: Photographic print
This print of the Town Hall in Bombay was taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s. Designed by Colonel Cowper of the Bombay Engineers, the Town Hall was intended to house a library and museum as well as the civic offices. Money raised by the Literary Society of Bombay proved insufficient and the government was persuaded to bear the costs of construction, a process which took ten years. Completed in 1833, the total costs came to about £500,000, far in excess of the initial estimates. A double row of Doric columns shipped from England were to be used to front the building, however they were too large and were used in the nearby Byculla Church instead. The building is neo-classical in style with impressive porticoed facades of the Doric order placed on an arcaded plinth below. Certain alterations are made to adapt the building to the Indian environment such as window hoods to provide additional shade to the interior.