Temple on the Shravana rock near Yelwall, Mysore
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the temple perched on the summit of the Shravana rock near Yelwall, Mysore, Karnataka, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s, from the Photograph album of Major General Jackson Muspratt Muspratt-Williams.
This view show a small temple built in the Dravidian or South Indian style of architecture situated on top of a large boulder characteristic of the landscape of Karnataka. This region is very rich of temples. The Chalukyas of Badami built many rock cut caves and ancient temple complexes in the 6th-7th century AD. The subordinate rulers of the Chalukyas were the Gangas and the Kadambas. The colossal monolithic statue of Gomateswara was built by the Gangas in the 10th century AD. The Chalukyas of Badami were succeeded by the Rashtrakutas and the Kalyani Chalukyas. In Southern Karnataka the Hoysalas built great temples at Halebidu, Belur and Somanathapura decorated with a profusion of sculpture.
The Vijayanagar Empire, situated nearby, marks the period of great temple building activity in Karnataka. These temples have many pillared mandapas or hall and lofty entrance towers called gopurams. The Vijayanagar Empire was destroyed by the Deccan Sultanates in the 16th century and the ruins can be seen at Hampi. The Mysore Maharajas (Wodeyars) who ruled from around 1400 AD through the British period, with the brief lapse during Tipu Sultan's rule, have also made contributions to temples in this State. The temples of the coastal region have a very distinctive architectural style and resemble the Keralite temples to a larger extent.