Temple at Somnath-pur 51224
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Keshava Temple at Somnathpur, completed in 1268. This temple is one of the best preserved of the temples built in the Hoysala period. The temple is dedicated to Keshava, the god Vishnu under his three aspects and consists of three shrines approached through a columned mandapa. On the outer walls of the temple, at the lower levels, there are friezes with elephants, horses, makaras, geese and foliated scrolls. A procession of gods richly encrusted with jewels and ornaments is set in the various projections of the walls created by the stellate plan of the sanctuaries. Above the panels, pilasters support miniature towers and an angled eave with a fringe projects above. This photograph shows part of the arcade running along the south side of the temple and the low tower covered with sculptures representing Vaishnava themes.