Temple at Somnath-pur 51225
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Keshava Temple at Somnathpur, completed in 1268 from the 'Photograph album of Major General Jackson Muspratt Muspratt-Williams', taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s.. This temple is one of the best preserved of the temples built in the Hoysala period. The temple is dedicated to Keshava, the god Vishnu under his three aspects and consists of three shrines approached through a columned mandapa. On the outer walls of the temple, at the lower levels, there are friezes with elephants, horses, makaras, geese and foliated scrolls. A procession of gods richly encrusted with jewels and ornaments is set in the various projections of the walls created by the stellate plan of the sanctuaries. Above the panels, pilasters support miniature towers and an angled eave with a fringe projects above. The pyramidal tower is almost circular in plan and consists of diminishing storeys with pot motifs and foliated arched niches with miniature deities.