Temple at Somnath-pur 51242
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Keshava Temple at Somnathpur from the 'Photograph album of Major General Jackson Muspratt Muspratt-Williams', taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s. This temple is the last well preseved temple of the Hoysala period, was built in 1268. The temple faces east and is situated in the middle of a courtyard on a high plinth. A pillared mandapa leads to three star-shaped sanctuaries which reflect the dedication of the temple to the god Keshava who represents the three aspects of Vishnu. Friezes with animals and scrollwork adorn the basement while the walls are covered of sculptures of the gods set in the walls projections. The pyramidal towers are almost circular in plan and consist of diminishing storeys with pot motifs and foliated arched niches with miniature deities.