The Nand Bhavan, Dig
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Nand Bhavan, Deeg from the 'Album of Indian views' taken by Samuel Bourne in 1864. Deeg in Rajasthan, a small town which was once the summer retreat of the rulers of Bharatpur 22 kms away. It was developed by the Jat chieftain Badan Singh (r.1722-55) as the capital of his newly founded Jat kingdom forged by uniting the members of an agricultural caste in the Mathura region. The greatest of the Jat rulers was Suraj Mal (r.1755-63) who shifted the capital to Bharatpur while filling Deeg with pleasure palaces.
The Nand Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the splendid 18th-century garden palace of the Jats at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). The pavilions stand on each side of a square formal garden designed in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. The garden is divided into four parterres by water channels filled with fountains running from each of the pavilions to an octagonal pool in the centre. The Nand Bhavan (c.1760) is built of yellow sandstone and lies on the northern edge of the garden. It is a single-storey, long, rectangular building raised on a terrace with a central hall.