The Great Pagoda at Seringham. The Raya Gopuram from S. [Unfinished outer gateway of the Ranganatha Temple, Srirangam.]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the unfinished outer gopura of the Ranganatha Temple at Srirangam, taken by Linnaeus Tripe (1822-1902) in 1858. This sacred Vaishnava complex is situated on the holy island of Srirangam. The building of the temple started in the Chola period but most of the works were carried out from the 13th to the 17th century under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures with tall gateways or gopuras in the middle of four sides. These gopuras are pyramidal brick and plaster towers and most of them were built in the 16th-17th centuries.Tripe was in charge of one of the battalions of the 12th Madras Native Infantry, a regiment funded in 1824 and stationed in Madras. In 1855, Tripe was commissioned to take photographs for the British East India Company and the Madras Presidency which resulted in six albums, one of which is of Srirangam.