The Palace and interjacent part of the town [Thanjavur]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of a view of the Tanjore Palace, Tamilnadu, is part of a collection entitled 'Photographic Views in Tanjore and Trivady ' (Madras, 1858) and was taken by Linnaeus Tripe in 1858. The palace of Thanjavur built by the Nayaka dynasty during the 16th – 17th centuries is situated inside the Great Fort, Tanjore. It is a vast building complex disposed around a series of courtyards and a tower of seven-storeys used once as the armoury. The Durbar Hall of the Nayaka kings is an arched building that was used for public audiences. This shows a general view looking over rooftops towards the Palace: ''It covers a vast extent of ground, and like most other buildings of the kind in India affords the strongest contrasts on every side between rude magnificance and the most squalid misery...The lofty erection to the left is the seven storied tower...The tower in the centre is the arsenal...'' At the right is the arcaded tower overlooking the inner courts.