The seven storied tower of the Palace [Thanjavur]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the seven storied-tower in the Tanjore Palace complex, Tamilnadu, is part of a collection entitled 'Photographic Views in Tanjore and Trivady ' (Madras, 1858) and was taken by Linnaeus Tripe in 1858. The palace of Thanjavur built by the Nayaka dynasty during the 16th – 17th centuries is situated inside the Great Fort, Tanjore. It is a vast building complex disposed around a series of courtyards and a tower of seven-storeys used once as an armoury. The Durbar Hall of the Nayaka kings is an arched building that was used for public audiences.Tripe wrote, ''The tower seen from a distance has a very fine effect, but this is destroyed by a nearer view. It is a striking mixture of squalor and magnificence...It is a curious mixture of Saracenic and European architecture, and the lightning conductor on the top reminds the visitor that some rays of western civilization have reached even the Tanjore Palace.''