Photograph of the Bagela Lake at Eklingji from James Burgess' 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana' taken by Colin Murray in c.1872. Eklingji, northeast of Udaipur, is a complex of 108 temples and shrines dedicated to Lord Shiva.''...To the south of the village about a quarter of a mile, is a much larger lake, called the Bagela, or Vagela talao, formed by a very substantial band [bund] across the north end of the ravine. It contains some small islands, and stretches its arms up into the dells between the hills that enclose it. On the north-east are some gardens belonging to the temple, and the morning view given...is taken from one of them, looking towards the south. The scene is one of lovely seclusion and beauty, the mist rising in distant ravines, and the stately palms relected in the mirror of the glassy lake, anhancing the charms of scenery that in a Western clime would be visited from far and near.''