Photograph taken in the 1860s by John Henry Ravenshaw, one of 45 prints in the album 'Gaur: Its Ruins and Inscriptions'. Pandua, near Gaur in the Malda district of Bengal, was a centre of provincial Islamic culture, reaching its apogee when it supplanted Gaur as capital of Bengal from 1342 till the beginning of the 15th century. Nur Qutub Alam was a 15th century Sufi saint (d.1415) in whose honour the famous Qutub Shahi mosque was erected in Pandua in 1582. The early 15th century dargah (mausoleum) complex of the saint, called the Choti Dargah, comprises a mosque, a tank or reservoir, tombs, a resthouse and various other structures. It was known as the 'shash hazari dargah' (a dargah endowed with a property worth six thousand rupees) of Pandua. Here the view looks towards a group of graves, with the tomb of Nur Qutb Alam shaded by a cloth screen hung from four stone pillars.