The great brick Shiva Temple at Konch, Gaya District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the great brick Shiva Temple at Konch, Gaya District, taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s. In his descriptive notes of 1861 Thomas Fraser Peppé wrote about this temple, "... the superstructure with the arched lower chamber, and the interior recess over the entrance...resembles that in the Bodh Gaya temple. Nothing but mud has been used to cement the bricks, but the latter have been so well prepared that they fit together most accurately...A porch had been added with an arched roof, but it has fallen in, the only arch in the original building is that of the lower chamber which is painted." The temple was originally constructed as a Buddhist shrine however more recently a linga was added and the temple is now used by Shivaites.