Taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s this photograph of the Baradari or office in the Palace at Rohtasgarh is part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series). The Baradari or 'Offices' were part of Akbar's palace at Rohtasgarh; this view was taken from the north-east looking obliquely along the columned verandah of the baradari. 'The verandah, measuring 39ft by 16 ft 6 ins., is supported on four sets of octagonal pillars in pairs between double pilasters and has a deep sloping chhajja above the openings. The bases and capitals of the pillars supporting its flat roof are square in shape and neatly carved. The chhajja rests on heavy stone beams laid across a handsome massive brackets, the lower scrolls of which are seen protruding from the mouths of elephant heads.' M.H.H. Kuraishi, 'List of ancient monuments...in the Province of Bihar and Orissa' (Calcutta, 1931), pp. 154-169.