Taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s this photograph is part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series). The Hathia Pol, or Elephant Gateway is part of the palace at Rohtasgarh; it was described in detail in M.H.H. Kuraishi, 'List of ancient monuments...in the Province of Bihar and Orissa' (Calcutta, 1931), pp. 154-169. 'The Hathia Pol, or Elephant Gateway is the most decorative part of the Palace. It is constructed of finely wrought stone, on which traces of an original ornamental stucco of the 'sgraffito' technique in red and white designs are still to be seen under the top parapet and in the spandrels of the large central arch of the façade. Two fine oriel-balconies give dignity and interest to this front; and beneath them occur little sculptured elephants (2ft 9 ins high) inset in a typical Early Mughal niche from which feature the Gate derives its name.'