Two slab-built Hindu temples, dedicated to Vishnu and Ganesha, Saurai, Jhansi District
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of two Hindu temples in Saurai, Jhansi District, part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880-1890s. The district of Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh is crossed by the Pahunj and Betwa rivers. The area was originally called Balwant Nagar and was ruled by the Chandela kings up until the 11th century. It was renamed Jhansi in the 17th century when it rose to power under the Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha, who built the fort in 1613 that the city was named after. Historically, Jhansi is often remembered for the young patriotic queen Lakshmi Bai, also known as the Rani of Jhansi, who became a national symbol of resistance to British rule. In a report of his photographic tours of 1883-84 and 1884-85, A. Cunningham wrote, 'In the village there are two slab-built temples dedicated to Vishnu, whose image is over the middle doorway, with those of Brahma and Siva at the sides. The slabs forming the walls are 8 inches thick. Both temples have porticoes.'