Photograph of a torana (gateway) in Sironi Khurd, Jhansi District, part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series, taken by Edmund William Smith in the 1890s. The district of Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh was ruled by a succession of dynasties under several different names, the most noted being the Chandella kings who ruled from the 9th to the 12th centuries. The majority of the Hindu and Jain temples that remain date to this period. The area was renamed Jhansi in the 17th century when it rose to power under the Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha, who built the fort in 1613 that the city was named after. Historically, Jhansi is often remembered for the young patriotic queen Lakshmi Bai, also known as the Rani of Jhansi, who became a national symbol of resistance to British rule. This view of the torana was descibed in the North-Western Provinces list of 1891: ''Outside the compound of the modern Jain temples is standing an exquisite torana, or gateway, which, though half-ruined by neglect, is still singularly beautiful, and ought to be carried away to a place of safety.'' The negative has been blocked out along the edges of the structure in order to separate the gateway from the background of trees.