The Badi Mahal, City Palace, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Badi Mahal, City Palace, Udaipur, taken by O.S Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. The colossal City Palace is situated on the east bank of Lake Pichola. It was begun by Udai Singh but construction continued under subsequent rulers during the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels. The Badi Mahal, or Amar Vilas was built by Maharana Amar Singh (r.1698-1710). It is situated on the north side of the City Palace and comprises a deep hall with receding rows of cusped arches and a square marble bath in the centre. This is a view looking across the colonnaded court with trees and shrubs.