The Lake, Rangoon, with Shoay Dagon in the distance
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Royal Lake at eventide in Rangoon (Yangon), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. This view looks westwards across the lake in Dalhousie Park (now Bogyoke Aung San Park). Dalhousie Park was created in the mid-19th century by the British to plans drawn up in 1856 by William Scott of the Calcutta Botanic Gardens. It was laid out around the Kandawgyi or Royal Lake, one of two lakes in northern Rangoon to the east of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda. The lake had a pleasing irregular outline which was further landscaped. The celebrated gilded stupa of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda can be seen on the horizon in the distance. The most venerated Buddhist shrine in Burma, it could be seen from all over the city due to its elevated position on the summit of Singuttara Hill.