The Vishnupud Temple, Gaya, with Gaywal priests.
Medium: Photographic print
View of the Vishnupad temple situated on the west bank of the underground river, Falgu at Gaya in Bihar, from the Elgin Collection: 'Spring Tours 1894-98', taken in 1895. The thirty metre high temple rests on eight rows of decorated pillars. In a subsidiary mandapa is a stone embedded with Lord Vishnu’s footprint called the Vishnupad. The temple was renovated in 1787 by Rani Ahalya Bai. This is a very holy site where Hindus offer pind or oblations for their deceased ancestors.