Tank near Government House, Mysore, with Chamundi Hill beyond.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II', taken in 1895. This is a view of the tank near the Government House in Mysore with Chamundi hill in the background. Mysore is situated in Karnataka in Southern India in a valley with two ridges on either side. Government house was begun in 1800 by Colonel Wilks and completed in 1805. It is a fine example of a European style house of the period. Chamundi Hill is approximately 3000 feet high, situated to the southeast of Mysore and is topped with a temple dedicated to the guardian deity of the Mysore Rajas, the goddess Chamundi, or Durga.