Temple carvings, Srirangam, Trichinopoly
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II' of the carved columns of the Thousand Pillars in the Ranganatha Temple at Srirangam, taken by Nicholas and Company in the 1890s. This view shows part of the Ranganatha Temple, a sacred Vaishnava complex situated on the holy island of Srirangam in the Kaveri River. The temple was commenced in the Chola period but most of the works were carried out from the 13th to the 17th century under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures entered through gateways or gopuras. The row of pillars richly carved in the form of rearing horses is situated on the façade of the Sheshagirirayar mandapa and belongs to the 16th century.