The Lake, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Lake Pichola at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer, from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1896' . Lord Elgin served as Viceroy of India between 1894 and 1899. Udaipur was founded by Udai Singh (r.1567-72) in the mid-16th century as the fourth and last capital of the Mewar State. The old walled city of Udaipur was built on its eastern shore of Lake Pichola, in a valley surrounded by the Aravalli hills. This is a view of the lake looking over rooftops towards the Jag Niwas palace, once the summer residence of the rulers of Mewar. It stands on a small island in the middle of the lake and consists of a series of white marble pavilions set in gardens with courts, fountains and trees. It was built by Jagat Singh II (r.1734-51), with later additions by successive rulers.