The Residency & Garden, Jeypore
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Residency and garden at Jaipur in Rajasthan, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in the 1880s, from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1896'. Jaipur was founded in 1727 as an entirely new and prestigious state capital by Maharaja Jai Singh (r.1699-1743) of the Kachwaha Rajputs. The first political officer of the British Raj was appointed at Jaipur in 1820. After 1881 the political officers were known as Residents. The city was the headquarters of the Jaipur Residency, which consisted of the States of Jaipur, Kishangarh and the chieftainship of Lawa. This is a distant view of the Residency building from the garden, which is planted with tall cypress trees. In the foreground, two gardeners tend to flowerpots arranged along the edge of the borders.