The Residency, Cochin.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the British Residency Cochin, Kerala, from the Kitchener of Khartoum Collection: Miscellaneous views in India, taken in the 1900s. Cochin (now called Kochi) is situated on the Malabar coast and the name probably derives from 'kocchazhi' meaning the new or small harbour. In the 15th century the area attracted Christian, Arab and Jewish settlers from the Middle East and from 16th century onwards, the Portuguese, Dutch and British competed for control of its port and the lucrative spice trade. The British Residency set in beautiful landscaped gardens on Bolghatty Island was originally built by the Dutch in 1744.