The Fort & old Palace, Jodhpore [from the Rani Sagar tank]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Meherangarh Fort at Jodhpur in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1900s. The photograph is from an album containing views of various locations in India, formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909.
The city of Jodhpur has been the capital of Marwar - the "region of death" - in western India since the 15th century. It was founded on the edge of the arid Thar Desert by Rao Jodha of the Rathore Rajputs in 1459, replacing the previous Marwar capital of Mandor. The formidable Meherangarh Fort, considered the finest in Rajasthan, was built by Rao Jodha and stands on an isolated outcrop of rock which rises abruptly from the surrounding plain. Its high sheer walls and massive bastions dominate the city and can be seen for miles around. Within the fort at the northern end are the Old Palaces, a series of beautiful courtyard buildings, which date from the 17th century onward. This is a view of the fort from the Rani Sagar, a lake to the north-west of the fort within the old city walls.