The Indur Mahal [?Chandra Mahal] from the garden, Jeypore
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chandra Mahal or Moon Palace at Jaipur in Rajasthan, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in the 1880s. The photograph is part of an album containing views of various locations in India, formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909.
Jaipur was founded in 1727 as an entirely new and prestigious state capital by Maharaja Jai Singh (r.1699-1743) of the Kachwaha Rajputs. It was built on the site of a royal hunting lodge on a plain ringed by a range of rocky hills five miles south of Amber, the previous state capital. At Jaipur, the city palace is contained within a boundary wall, the sarahad, and is situated in the centre of the city. The Chandra Mahal (c.1727-34) is the earliest and most important part of the city palace. This is a view of the north face of the seven-storey building from the Jai Niwas gardens, with a fountain in the foreground leading to a marble channel. The palace has the screened balconies and a roof-top pavilion found in many Rajasthan palaces, and a symmetrical design which is characteristic of the city as a whole.