Three of several stone carved windows in Shah Alam's Tomb, Ahmedabad.
Photographer: Lickfold, Charles
Medium: Photographic print
This signed print shows an exterior corner view of the tomb of Shaikh Shah Alam in the southern suburbs of modern-day Ahmadabad. The tomb forms part of a 'dargah' or shrine complex, dedicated to the influential Gujarati Muslim saint and spiritual advisor to Sultan Mahmud Shah Begarha. According to an inscription, the tomb was commissioned in 1485 by a Gujarati nobleman, Taj Khan Nariali. It is a trabeate pavilion built with dressed stone pillars and corbelled or Hindu domes. The spaces in between the pillars are filled with pierced stone screens carved in geometric designs that filter light and air through the tomb interior. This image shows three such screens. The shrine complex also contains the cenotaphs of Shah Alam's family housed in a tomb of a similar style to that of the saint, an assembly hall and a later mosque.