Tomb of Mohomed Ghaus at Gwalior.
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the tomb of Muhammad Ghaus at Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1880s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views in India. Gwalior in central India is the site of a magnificent fort, perched on a rocky plateau, which changed hands several times over the centuries. In the early 13th century, the fort passed from the Rajput Pariharas to the Sultans of Delhi, and Indo-Islamic architectural styles were ushered into Gwalior. After reverting to the Tomara Rajputs, patrons of art and culture, in the late 14th century, Gwalior was taken by the Afghan Lodis, rulers of Delhi, in 1518. Its submission was always suspect when there was instability at Delhi, and it was finally brought firmly under Mughal rule in the reign of Akbar (1555-1605). The tomb of the saint Sayyid Muhammad Ghaus Shattari is one of the city's most famous Muslim monuments, dating from the 16th century Mughal period. Its walls are perforated with jalis or pierced stone screens, its central dome was once decorated with glazed tiles, and its corners are topped with graceful pavilions.