The Mall below Barnes Court, Simla.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph with a view of Simla (Shimla), Himachal Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views.
Simla, now the capital of Himachal Pradesh, was the largest of the Indian hill-stations under the British and derives its name from the mountain goddess Shyamla Devi. Discovered by the British in 1819 after it had been recovered from the Gurkhas of Nepal, its temperate climate and spectacular scenery made it popular with European residents of India by the 1820s. Sanatoria were built here and Simla came to be known as the 'English Convalescent Station'. It developed into the summer capital of the British administration. It is built across hilltops and ridges at a height of 2215 ms or 7267 ft in the Himalayan foothills, and numerous tree-shaded pathways meander down towards the Mall which is its main thoroughfare. Barnes Court was from 1879 the summer residence at Simla of the Lieutenant-Governor of the Punjab.It had originally been the official residence of the Commander-in-Chief in India from 1849 to 1865 and was named after General Sir Edward Barnes. It is now the Raj Bhavan or residence of the governor of Himachal Pradesh.