Temple at Oomga from the east, Gya.
Photographer: Peppé, Thomas Fraser
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Temple at Oomga from the east in Gya. This photograph was taken by Thomas Fraser Peppé in 1870 and is part of the collection of Sir Richard Carnac Temple. In this view looking down onto the temple there is a free-standing pillar in front of the mandapa, and the shikara is seen beyond. Peppé's tripod and other photographic equipment can be seen in front of the entrance to the mandapa. Descriptive notes by Peppé accompanying the photographs state the following, 'The temple is built on a rocky spur of one of the highest hills overlooking the grand trunk roadand is built entirely of squared granite blocks without cement and is in excellent preservation. The height of the temple from the rock is about 60 feet, the extreme length from east to west is 68 feet, and the breadth 53 feet'.