Temple at Deo, Gya, from the west
Photographer: Peppé, Thomas Fraser
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chaturbhuja Temple at Gya in Bihar taken by Thomas Fraser Peppé in 1870. The temple, originally consecrated to the god Surya in the late 10th century, was converted into a Vishnu sanctuary in the 15th century. The doorway and the columns of the side porches are original features. The curvilinear tower is crowned by a ribbed amalaka stone.