The Asar Mahal, Bijapur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the The Asar Mahal in Bijapur. The Asar Mahal was built by Muhammad Shah in 1646 as a Hall of Justice and later became a sacred sanctuary housing some hairs from the beard of the Prophet. The east side is an open portico supported on four wooden pillars facing an artificial lake. A staircase leads to a large hall and to the right there is a verandah overlooking onto the portico. To the rear there were rooms arranged on two floors in which there are some frescos.