The Baraduree, Goojranwala, from the garden
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the Baradari in Gujranwala from the Brandreth Collection: 'Views in Simla, Cashmere and the Punjaub' taken by an unknown photographer in 1869. Baradaris are pavilions or reception halls and usually have twelve doors or arches in their walls; three on each side. The caption on this photograph reads: "This garden is celebrated all over the Punjaub for a number of orange trees imported from Malta by Gen Clarke which have been most successful", and is dated ''26 Feby '' in the negative.
Stereoscopic cameras, one with two lenses which took two photographs at the same time, were introduced in the mid 19th Century and revolutionised photography. They cut down exposure time and thus allowed for some movement in the image without blurring as subjects were not required to sit for long periods to produce a sharp image. The resultant prints were viewed through a special binocular viewer which produced a 3D effect.